Re: time delays

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 23 1996 - 13:03:14 EST

On 3/23/96, A. B. Hudson wrote:

> I made a post yesterday at 9:52 AM (EST) and it did not get to the list
> until 9:04 PM (EST). Is this normal? Does anyone else experience 10-12
> hour delays before a message is distributed? I have experienced other
> problems with my Internet Provider, so I was wondering if it was their
> system that causes the delay (I can switch to my University provider if I
> must).

Yes, I have experienced this fairly frequently, including yesterday--a
delay of sometimes more than 12 hours from my posting a message until I've
received it as a list distribution. In fact, I also get the Digest at my
other e-address, and I've occasionally seen things appear in the previous
day's digest before I get them in the regular list distribution. Nor is
this the only list I belong to wherein I've had this experience. I think
this has something to do with the irregularity of movement of large-packets
of posting over several intermediate stopping points between poster and
destination.

On the other hand, I've also had almost immediate return messages!

So they say we must be patient ... (sigh) ...

(314) 935-4018