Re: Ephesians 5:17

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 1996 - 14:30:48 EST

On 3/28/96, GLENN WOODEN wrote:

> Carlton,
>
> > I would add to what Carl Conrad said. TI is the neuter of the indefinite
> > pronoun TIS and functions in this sentence as a relative pronoun. As Carl
> > said the whole clause serves as the direct object (showing indirect
> > discourse) of the imperative verb or participle. Within the clause TI
> > would be the subject (nominative) and TO QELHMA is the predicate nominative
> > with the verb ESTIN understood.
>
> Your explanation of this construction raised some questions for me.
> Could TI not be the interrogative and the sentence TI TO QELHMA TOU
> KURIOU an indirect question? Also, could TO QELHMA not be the
> subject and TI the predicate nominative? For both of these the
> statement would be: "The will of the Lord is X". I honestly do not
> know the answer to the questions I raise and would appreciate some
> clarification from those who do!

Yes, I originally identified TI TO QELHMA TOU KURIOU as an indirect
question; I would, like you, consider TO QELHMA TOU KURIOU as the subject
and TI' as the predicate nominative, but in an equational construction like
this I don't think we gain much by distinguishing which is the subject and
which is the predicate word.

(314) 935-4018