John 19:11

From: A. Brent Hudson (g9117472@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 29 1996 - 15:32:19 EST

For Jn 19:11, most commentators identify the antecedent of hO PARADOUS ME as
TO EThNOS TO SON KAI hOI ARCIEREIS in 18:35. I realize that the singular
could be generalizing of "the Jews" (Bultmann), but I find the examples in
the grammars do not correlate well to 19:11. Does anyone know of an example
where a singular partciple is used to refer to a plural antecedant that
crosses two or more semantic domains (as in 18:35, e.g. "nation _and_ high
priests" NOT "the Medes" or "the Greeks" etc.)? Or perhaps the KAI of 18:35
is explicative, indicating a singular semantic group?

Brent Hudson
abhudson@wchat.on.ca OR g9117472@mcmaster.ca