RE: MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Thu Mar 07 1996 - 22:16:33 EST

"A. Brent Hudson" <abhudson@wchat.on.ca> wrote:

>> In considering the expression MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA (Tim. 3:2) and
>>trying to figure just what it means, I did a search for hEIS with a
>>genitive noun and an additional noun. The only other examples that were
>>similar in construction to the expression above were in the Pastorals
>>(i.e. I Tim. 3:2, 12; 5:9 and Titus 1:6). All are in reference to
>>candidates for posts of special responsibility or special consideration in
>>the church, and all apparently have reference to the person's matrimonial
>>relationships.

[material omitted]

>> It would be interesting to know if any of the list members is
>>aware of constructions similar to this phrase with the number hEIS in
>>writings outside of the NT, as their context might shed additional light
>>on the meaning here in the Pastorals.

>There is hENOS ARTOU GUNH in Prov. 6:26.

>A. Brent Hudson

        Thanks for your answer, Brent; but both the Greek and the Hebrew
seem to indicate that GUNH in Prov. 6:26 goes with the second foot of the
verse rather than the first, so the example isn't really a similar
construction.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore