logizetai eis sperma...

From: Tom Launder (ae298@lafn.org)
Date: Sat Mar 30 1996 - 21:58:11 EST

Hello Greek scholars and friends,

I am doing a project on Romans 9:6-13 and I have come across the phrase:

logizetai eis sperma (Rom 9:8)

I am trying to figure out how to understand the "eis sperma." I know the
translation of this phrase goes something like "reckon as seed," yet I am
trying to figure out how to classify it.

I have looked at some of the best commentaries (Dunn, Cranfield, Kasemann,
Murray, and Morris), yet only Morris offers a hint.

In Morris page 354 footnote 47, he says: "Howard considers *logizomai eis
sperma* a Semitism (M, II, p. 463).

If this is true what do you think he means? I would look it up, but I do
not have access to the resource described.

Thanks for your help. If you have any other insights into these verses in
Romans 9:6-13, I would sure like to hear about them. :)

Tom
They liked the loud, dramatic, uninhibited, down-to-earth, heart-to-heart,
"plain" expository preaching, ripping up consciences and lifting up Christ,
that was a hallmark of the Puritan pulpit throughout; this seemed to them
the only proper way for a man to speak when the issues of eternity were his
subject. J. I. Packer "A Quest for Godliness"