Re: logizetai eis sperma...

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Mon Apr 01 1996 - 09:13:20 EST

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, David Moore wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Tom Launder wrote:
>
> > Hello Greek scholars and friends,
> >
> > I am doing a project on Romans 9:6-13 and I have come across the phrase:
> >
> > logizetai eis sperma (Rom 9:8)
> >
> > I am trying to figure out how to understand the "eis sperma." I know the
> > translation of this phrase goes something like "reckon as seed," yet I am
> > trying to figure out how to classify it.
> >
> > I have looked at some of the best commentaries (Dunn, Cranfield, Kasemann,
> > Murray, and Morris), yet only Morris offers a hint.
> >
> > In Morris page 354 footnote 47, he says: "Howard considers *logizomai eis
> > sperma* a Semitism (M, II, p. 463).
> >
> > If this is true what do you think he means? I would look it up, but I do
> > not have access to the resource described.
> >
> > Thanks for your help. If you have any other insights into these verses in
> > Romans 9:6-13, I would sure like to hear about them. :)
>
> Howard apparently classifies this as translation Greek for the
> Hebrew preposition _Le_ as Don Wilkens has also pointed out. Howard also
> cites Blass-DeBrunner #157 and _Oxf[ord] Heb[rew] Lex[icon]_, p. 512 as
> supporting the idea of Semitic influence in this expression. But he cites
> Moulton (_Prolegomena_ p. 71 f.) as discounting Hebraism, "for the [Greek]
> vernacular shows a similar extension of the old use of EIS expressing
> destination" (Moulton, II:462).
>
> Another quote from Howard that is of interest is the following:
> "Johannessohn (_Kasus und Pra:p._ 4) gives examples of this LXX rendering
> of _Le_, and others where LXX thus renders Hebr. nominative" (Moulton,
> II:462)
>
> Hope this helps,

        I should have added that these comments apply to EIS plus
accusative used to express the idea of the predicate nominative or
predicate accusative.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore