Rom. 6.19

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 1996 - 09:41:06 EST

When translating Rom 6.19 I came across the phrase

 DOULA THi AKAQARSIAi KAI THi ANOMIAi EIS THN ANOMIAN

(roughly, "slaves to the impurity and to the lawlessness
into/to/for/toward the lawlessness").

Existing translations seem to handle this three ways:

A) intepreting the repetition as meaning "even more" -- i.e., "slaves to
impurity and to ever-increasing lawlessness" (Williams, NIV, NRSV, for
example)

B) dropping EIS THN ANOMIAN as a gloss that some scribe introduced to
balance the EIS hAGIASMON at the end of the verse (Moffatt, citing Hort,
and apparently the Jerusalem Bible)

C) shifting the meaning, as in "lawlessness [leading] to moral anarchy"
(NEB, NASB)

So what I want to know is

1) Are there other examples of the use of EIS that support either A) or
C)? The instances of duplication to indicate "even more" that I'm aware
of in the NT are not exactly parallel. John 1.16 ("graciousness upon
graciousness") uses ANTI, while 2 Cor. 3.18 ("from glory to glory") uses
APO ... EIS .... Neither of these cases uses the simple EIS.

2) Is there any documentary support for option B? I have access only to
an unannotated Nestle's.

3) Is it possible to interpret EIS here as "for the sake of," as in
"slaves to the impurity and to the lawlessness for the sake of the
lawlessness [itself]"?

Comments appreciated.

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com