Re: PolyCarp Source on Easter?

From: Gary S. Shogren (gshogren@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 1996 - 19:09:17 EDT

Hi, Al!

There is reference to Polycarp and other Asian bishops holding on to the 14
Nisan tradition, in Eusebius' History of the Church 5.24. Polycarp is
mentioned early in the chapter in a letter sent by Polycrates to Rome in the
late 2nd. century. Note that there is an expansion on Polycarp specifically
later in the chapter, in which is detailed his journey to Rome in the middle
of the century, and his amiable dispute with Anictetus. I don't believe
Polycarp deals with the Easter dispute in his epistle to the Philippians.

Gary Shogren

At 09:02 PM 4/18/96 UT, you wrote:
>Hello,
> I'm searching for the document that contains PolyCarp's discussion on the
>date of Easter. I understand that there was dispute early on in the Church as
>to when the day of Easter would be. If anyone knows what PolyCarp said and
>where it is located, I would appreciate it.
>Thanks,
>Al Collver

Gary S. Shogren
Biblical Theological Seminary