MALLON H

From: A. Brent Hudson (g9117472@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 26 1996 - 15:36:03 EDT

-- [ From: A. Brent Hudson * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I am having difficulty with with MALLON H. Normally, it means "more than;"
however, acc. to BAGD, it should be translated as "rather than" when
preceded by a negative. The tricky part is that BAGD notes that the
negative can be "unexpressed, though easily supplied fr. the context" Two
of his examples have confused this for me (Jn 3:19, 12have made me This
makes some it difficult, since most comparative statements could be
understood as exclusionary (rather than). For instance:

HGAPHSEN DE RACHL MALLON H LEIAN (Gen 29:30)
        he love Rachel more than Leah (perhaps "rather than")

Sir 4:10
AGAPHSEI SE MALLON H MHTHR SOU
        he will love you more than your mother.

1Esdras 4:25
KAI PLEION AGAPAi ANQRWPOS THN IDIAN GUNAIKA MALLON H TON PATERA KAI THN
MHTERA
        A man is filled with more love for his wife than his father or his mother.

The text that I am working on is Jn 3:19.
        HGAPHSAN OI ANQRWPOI MALLON TO SKOTOS H TO FWS:
It seems to me that this is similar to the above examples (the only three
AGAPAW + MALLON H passages I could locate), yet BAGD groups this under the
category of "rather than." My sense is that BAGD has allowed a specific
view of Johannine dualism to affect the interpretation of this passage. Any
comments?

Thanks,
Brent

 A. Brent Hudson