Re: "In Christ"

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 25 1996 - 22:47:25 EDT

I am forwarding this message to the list because it appears to be addressed
to everyone rather than to myself alone. The only comment I would make is
to reiterate that I accuse no one of deliberate intent to offend other list
members and that I posted my own all-too-lengthy message on this subject in
order to urge a common understanding of what the apostle called "the things
that make for peace." It may well be that I am mistaken in the
interpretation of the meaning of the phrase and its implications when used
in a signature. I do note that Paul uses it primarily in his salutations at
the opening of a letter where it seems to me that he is talking about the
shared bond of himself and the community addressed in the body of Christ.