Re: Re Conditional sentences

From: John Lochridge (John@xc.org)
Date: Sat May 11 1996 - 10:13:07 EDT

>Michael Holmes wrote:
>
>>In my experience, virtually every English-only
>>reader thinks that the tempter is challenging the *identity* of Jesus,
>>whereas it seems almost certain that what is being challenged is his
>>*character* (cf., e.g., Fitzmyer on Luke)--i.e., the only reason the tempter

--clip, clip--

Rod Decker <rdecker@inf.net> wrote:

>That's an interesting approach to this text. I'm not familiar with
>Fitzmyer's discussion, but if his argument re. the tempter's purpose can be
>substantiated, then you have a very good point re. translating the cond. as
>"since." I noted one response to Mike's proposal that didn't get the point
>here; the crux is that one cannot assume either 'if' or 'since' in English.
>Rather, we need to ask which best expresses the contextual intent.

Rod:

What about a footnote that elaborates on the meaning of the conditional "if"
in the text?

It seems to me that footnotes could be employed to "get the best of both" --
and thus more accurate communication of the meaning of the text.

Perhaps, in this case, one could render "If You are the Son of God" in the
text and "Or since" or something similar in a footnote to indicate this
meaning which is apparenttly implied.

John