An exciting honor!

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Sun May 12 1996 - 15:43:16 EDT

Dear Colleagues,

               Yesterday I was privileged to baptize the grand-
daughter of Eldon Epp, and spent several hours with him following
that happy service. (Eldon, as I'm sure most of you know, is one
of America's leading textual critics, was for many years Dean of
Case Western Reserve University, and still heads their religion
department.) He was the doctoral advisor of Larry Hurtado, who
is on this List. So, to the point:

     He told me that effective a year from now, LARRY HURTADO
WILL BE THE UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR OF NEW TESTAMENT AT THE
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH! This isn't one of several professors of
New Testament, but THE Professor of New Testament! The post is
one of the English-speaking world's most distinguished.

     This is wonderful news, and an appointment of which we can
all be proud, since Larry is one of our List's periodic
contributors. My personal reaction was, WOW! An AMERICAN (well,
now Canadian I suppose) winning out over all the Brits! (No
offense intended, U.K. list-members.)

     Congratulations to Larry Hurtado!

--Edward Hobbs
Wellesley these days