Re: Rom. 8:27

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat May 11 1996 - 00:12:06 EDT

At 05:12 PM 5/10/96 +0400, Carlton L. Winbery wrote:
>Marion Fox wrote;
>
>>Marion here: Now comes the reason why I have been asking these
questions.
>>The word "PNEUMATOS" is in the genitive or ablative case (I opt for
the
>>genitive case). Can this genitive noun be the subject of a finite
verb?
>>If so, what is the rule of grammar or syntax which allows it?
>
>The genitive TOU PNEUMATOS modifies TO FRONHMA. You could see it as a
>subjective genitive if you take FRONHMA as "thinking." You would then
>translate it, "He who searches the heart knows what the Spirit is
thinking,
>because (I take hOTI to be causal) he intercedes for the saints
according
>to God's [will]."

About the causal hOTI:

        If we are talking about God the Father as "He who searches the
hearts," is the *reason* He knows the mind of the Spirit _because_ the
latter intercedes for the saints according to God's will? Or is it
that, knowing the hearts (KARDIAS here is acc. pl. rather than gen.
sing.) of all, He also knows what the Spirit is thinking and knows that
He intercedes for the saints according to God's will.

        The first construction seems difficult logically and
theologically. If hOTI were to be taken as causal, could we say that
the Father would not know what the Spirit was thinking if He didn't so
intercede for the saints? A causal "because" would imply as much.

David L. Moore Director
Miami, Florida, USA Department of Education
dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com Southeastern Spanish District
http://www.netcom.com/~dvdmoore of the Assemblies of God