Re: Imperfects as simple pasts

From: Kevin J Buchs (buchs@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 15 1996 - 13:08:09 EDT

On Tue, 14 May 1996 11:21:34 -0700 Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
writes:
> Last night in translating Acts 28:24-31, I ran across a number of
>imperfect forms, many of which seemed best translated by simple
>pasts

What is the opinion of the "list community" regarding the "focus on
connection" understanding of imperfects as supported by James Voelz
(Fundamental Greek Grammar) and others. In this understanding,
imperfects are translated in one or more of several ways: continuous,
habitual, inceptive, conative, repetitive, and emphatic.

Kevin Buchs
Blue Earth, MN