re: Naming a detective division

From: A K M Adam (F49ADAM@ptsmail.ptsem.edu)
Date: Sat May 18 1996 - 07:48:23 EDT

I have some reservations about complicity with the LA police, and Greek sayings tend to be
gender-exclusive, but here are some ideas:

PANTA KINHSASI PETRON is my favorite so far, but

TA PEPRAGMEN AUTA BOAi (Demosthenes) reflects a law-enforcement kind of attitude.

hEURHKA (Archimedes)

ARChH ANDRA DEIXEI (Bias) (ARCH in the sense of "leadership," not "beginning")

KAIRON GNWTHI (Pittachus)

ANDRES POLHOS PURGOI ARHIOI (Alkaeus)

QUMOU KRATEI (Good advice for all ages, especially LAPD)

TOU ARTISTEUEIN hENEKA

H TAN H EPI TAN (Spartan slogan)

KAT' EXOCHN

POSI KAI CERSIN

>From what I hear about LAPD, though, one might propose

hUDRAN TEMNEIS. . . .

Grace and peace,

A K M Adam
f49adam@ptsmail.ptsem.edu
Princeton Theological Seminary

"To translate is human; to parse, divine"