Sequential order in Acts 28:25

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 30 1996 - 17:28:24 EDT

     There is, so I've learned recently a great deal of disagreement over the
sequence of events in Acts 28:24-25. The crux interpretum is over whether or not
the genitive absolute in v. 25b, EIPONTOS TOU PAULOU, is the cause, and prior to
the imperfects in v.24 KIA (OI MEN EPEIQONTO TOIS LEGOMENOIS, (OI DE HPISTOUN,
and whether v 25b is antecedent to v 25a ASUMFWNOI DE ONTES PROS ALLHLOUS
APELUONTO. My understanding of the syntax is that
1. Some were being persuaded, but others were refuisng to believe
2. While they were in dispute,
3. they began to depart, AFTER Paul said one word.
I would expect the aorist genitive absolute to precede the imperfect APELUONTO,
but I can't think of when I've seen a present participial phrase, a finite verb
and an aorist genitive absolute all stacked up together like this, so the "rules"
about temporal relations, not to mention what Porter would say (and I don't recall
if he grants a temporal significance to a genitive absolute -- probably not), may
not apply in the usual "neat" way. I'd appreicate the thoughts of others on this
construction. Thanks.

Ken Litwak
GTU
Berserkely, CA