Re: Paul's Pidgin Greek?

From: Philip L. Graber (pgraber@emory.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 1996 - 18:16:55 EDT

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Shaughn Daniel wrote:

> Would someone refer me to any modern discussions of the issue of Paul's
> Greek in relation to his Hellenistic contemporaries, please. I'm wondering
> if anyone has considered Paul's written Greek as a pidgin language of
> sorts. I think it is a new understanding of the old linguistic issues of
> semiticisms.

There are clearly issues related to language use in a multilingual
society, but the issue is not pidginization. A pidgin language is
something quite different from what we have in the New Testament. I
would be very surprised if you found any literature suggesting otherwise.

Philip Graber Graduate Division of Religion
Graduate Student in New Testament 211 Bishops Hall, Emory University
pgraber@emory.edu Atlanta, GA 30322 USA