The first collection of Paul's letters

From: Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (MDick39708@gnn.com)
Date: Sun Jun 02 1996 - 12:22:46 EDT

Dear Professor Wimbush
(and other NT Scholars),

        I hope you are doing well; I am in good spirits this summer!
Dr. Wimbush, the question I have for you today (and certain others)
has to do with a comment from Dennis Duling and Norman Perrin's book
"The New Testament: Proclamation and Parenesis, Myth and History"
Pg. 131.

        Duling and Perrin 'surmise' that the earliest collection of
Paul's letters originally consisted of only ten letters, and that
the later three (the Pastoral) were included 'sometime in the second
half of the second century C.E."

        My question to you is what do you think lead Duling and Perrin
to make such a statement? I can not find information from any
source, contemporary and ancient, that even suggests that the first
collection of Paul's letters consisted only of ten letters. Can you
offer any suggestions regarding why Duling and Perrin would make
such a statement, or is this truly a 'surmise' on their part?

Peace and Love,

Timothy T. Dickens
Smyrna, GA
MDick39708@gnn.com Home
ttd3@Columbia.edu School

"No man should bring children into the world who is unwilling to continue their nurture and education." Plato's Crito, Section 45D.