Re[2]: pronoun/antecedent agreement

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 1996 - 17:40:14 EDT

>"Edgar M. Krentz" said:
>
> >> A sentence in ancient Greek is something that makes a complete,
> independent statement. The verb hUEI is a complete sentence: "He is
> raining." It contains an explicit subject. <<
>
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> Edgar, did you intend implicit here? Otherwise, the point that
> Philip just made about explicit subjects is negated. I fail to see an
> explicit subject in hUEI.
>
> -Wes
> Captivated and hysterical

Yes, I meant explicit; it's in the suffix *-EI. By explicit I mean that
there is no need for a noun or pronoun to have a complete assertion with,
in terms of English sykntax, a subject and a predicate.

Shalom,

Edgar M. Krentz Tel: 312-256-0752
Professor of New Testament FAX: 312-256-0782
1100 East 55th Street Home:312-947-8105
Chicago, IL 60615 emkrentz@mcs.com