Re: Eph 4:2 prepositions

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 1996 - 09:27:02 EDT

Glenn Weaver wrote;
>Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the two META prepositional phrases
>in Ephesians 4:2 modify--the infinitive PERIPATHSAI, or the participial
>phrase ANEXOMENOI ALLHLWN? Are there any good articles or books that provide
>insight for such questions?

Replying off the top of my head, I would choose to see the adverbial uses
of the prep. phrases with the verb form that follows. Paul often does this
(though I am aware of the theories that Eph. was written by someone else).
eg. Rom. 15:4 in the hINA clause, "through patience and comfort of the
scriptures let us have hope."

Carlton Winbery
Fogleman Prof. Religion
Louisiana College