Re: Synonyms in John 21 etc.

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 21 1996 - 16:08:14 EDT

Until Don Wilkins' post, everything I have read assumes or implies that
AGAPAW is a "higher" form of love than FILEW, I guess because it is based on
the "intrinsic worth" of the object loved and seeks nothing (e.g.,
friendship) in return, whereas the "affection" inherent in FILEW somehow
implies a more selfish love. I hope there is further discussion around Don's
intriguing and definitely provocative remarks. Has this perspective been
discussed in journals/books?