Re: b-greek-digest V1 #269

From: Mario Latendresse (latendre@iro.umontreal.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 25 1996 - 10:41:01 EDT

> Consequently, scholars have suggested three possible meanings for Jesus'
> question:
> [...]
> 3. Do you love me more than these things, such as the fish?
> [...]

In the analyses it would be interesting to take into account the
symbolic meaning of the 'fishes'. If they represent all disciples
of Jesus, the three questions would form a tight unit
of reference. That is, in this form Jesus is refering to His
disciples and to Peter as subject of discussion. In this form
Jesus asked Peter to take care of His disciples but at the same
time it is He who remains the leader.

Mario