Re: Context in interpretation: was Sharp's Rule

From: Alan Repurk (lars@repurk.mw.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 1996 - 13:00:29 EDT

David L. Moore wrote:

> In the case of the passage from 2Pet. 1:1, there may be factors that
> should be considered which might clarify the meaning and make such a last-resort
> technique as Joos describes unnecessary. In NT times, there was already a long
> tradition in Egypt of ascribing deifying names to rulers. When Rome extended
> its rule to Egypt (and possibly even before that and for their own reasons) the
> Roman emperors began to use self-deifying names and titles. These are very
> similar to the titles ascribed to Jesus Christ in 2Pet. 1:1. It may be that
> this was a way to express that Jesus is Lord in a society that demanded that its
> subjects acknowledge Caesar as lord.
> Regards,
> David L. Moore

Considering the target audience was to the Jews (According to John Nelson Darby,
quotes to follow) would Peter have been making a secular reference like this ?
Also, the context of the second verse makes it clear that God and Jesus are two
distinct individuals. Should one give more weight to external evidence that to
internal (contextual) evidence ?

With Joo's theory, it would appear that even if some distraction caused the audience
to pay less than full attention to verse 1, verse two would certainly clear up
any misconceptions they might have had as to Peter's message. That's what I
call 'redundancy' !

Respectfully,
-lars

" The First Epistle of Peter is addressed to believers among the dispersed of
Israel found in those provinces of Asia Minor Which are named in the first verse;
the Second Epistle declares itself to be a second addressed to the same persons:
so that the one and the other were destined for the Jews of Asia Minor
(that is, to those among them who had the same precious faith as the apostle) ...
Such was the Christian's position. The apostle wishes them grace and peace-the known
portion of believers. He reminds them of the blessings with which God had blessed them,
blessing God who had bestowed them. Believing Israelites knew Him now, not in the
character of Jehovah, but as the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

<http://ccel.wheaton.edu/darby/synopsis/1Peter.html>