Re: Php 2:6

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 1996 - 00:41:33 EDT

Al Kidd wrote:

> Blass-Debrunner-Funk (BDF) in sec. 399 (pp. 205-6) points out the
> semantic effect of anaphora for the articular infinitive at Php 2:6:
>
> 399. The nominative and accusative of the
> substantivized infinitive (without preposition)
> . . . In general the anaphoric significance of
> the article, i.e., its reference to something
> previously mentioned or otherwise well known, is
> more or less evident. Without this anaphoric
> reference, an infinitive as subject or object is
> usually anarthrous.... [F]or concepts already
> discussed[, see] . . . Ph 2:6."
>
> BDF does not present us with Php 2:6 as an example of where we have a
> certain kind of pairing of accusatives that does often occur elsewhere,
> however, and which pairing we may refer to as '(1) an infinitive's
> accusative of the subject and (2) its accusative of the object/predicate.'
> Neither does Jeffrey T. Reed in his detailed analysis of 'infinitives with
> two substantival accusatives' (see below).
>
> At Php 2:6, do we not find a syntax that matches the syntax in the Greek
> that matches Paul's own at Ro 14:13? At Ro 4:13 we read:
>
> " . . . TOUTO KRINATE . . . TO ME TITHENAI
> this judge you the not to be putting
>
> PROSKOMMA TOi ADELPHOi . . . "
> striking to the brother
>
> We may render this as follows: " . . . make this your decision, not to put
> before a brother a stumbling block . . . " Thus we see the anaphoric
> (epexegetic) significance of the articulated infinitive (TO ME TITHENAI)
> in the following rendering:
>
> ". . . , [namely,] not to put before a brother a stumbling block."
>
> Php 2:6 is syntactically like Ro 14:13, is it not? Its syntax is not
> like that informing 1 Ti 6:5--
>
> NOMIZONTON PORISMON EINAI TEN
> inferring a means of gain to be the
>
> EUSEBEIAN.
> revering well
>
> This we may render as ". . . thinking that godly devotion is a means of
> gain" (NWT), this so that the rendering reflects the double accusatives
> of the anarthrous, copulative infinitive. But we see that the first-
> occurring accusative is not the subject; therefore, we have at 1 Ti 6:5
> a marked word-order for the double accusative construction. What does
> that mean? It is the unmarked word-order for double accusatives that
> has the subject occurring before the accusative of the object/predicate.
> The accusative of the predicate, however, occurring at 1 Ti 6:5 occurs
> ahead of the accusative of the subject. Linguists call such a word-
> order marked.
>
> In analyzing the marked word-order for an infinitive having two
> accusatives, Jeffrey T. Reed, "The Infinitive With Two Substantival
> Accusatives," Novum Testamentum (vol. 33, 1; Leiden, The Netherlands:
> E.J. Brill, 1991) 17 affirms the finding of Lane McGaughy's work (Toward
> a Descriptive Analysis of EINAI), and he quotes McGaughy's finding
> pertinent to the marked word-order for the kind of syntax under
> [...]

        Al Kidd has obviously given considerable thought to his proposed
interpretation of Php. 2:6.

        It seems difficult to me, however, to take hHGEOMAI in such an absolute
sense. What is being proposed, if I've understood the explanation correctly, is, "He
did not consider usurpation." The verb hHGEOMAI in the sense of "consider" is
practically always used by Paul in constructions with a double accusative or with
adjectives or infinitives that serve an accusative function. So we have ANAGKAION
OUN hHGHSAMHN PARAKALESAI (2Co 9:5); ALLHLOUS hHGOUMENOI (TOUS [so P46 and B])
hUPEREXONTAS hEAUTWN (Php. 2:3). Other examples of similar constructions are
Php. 2:25; 3:7, 8; 2Ths. 3:15 (where AUTON is understood from the context); 1Tim.
1:12; 6:1. Only in 1Thes. 5:13 is there a somewhat different construction, but, in
this case, a phrase that functions adverbially fills out the thought in place of the
second accusative.

        I would suggest that the "anaphoric significance of the article," mentioned
in Blass-DeBrunner as cited above, is applicable in the case of Php. 2:6. But it
does not refer back to hARPAGMON as Al Kidd has suggested. Rather, the referent is
EN MORFH QEOU UPARXWN. Taking it thus would give the sense "Who, being in the
likeness of God, did not consider that equality with God something to be taken
advantage of..."

        A fine article which goes over the history of the interpretation of this
passage is "hARPAGMOS and the Meaning of Philippians 2:5-11," by N. T. Wright,
_Journal of Theological Studies_ 37 (Oct. 1986): 321-52.

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education