TO TRITON

From: Theresa J List (fcvandvi@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 1996 - 01:34:10 EDT

Greetings! I have read and digested my personal definition of "enough"
about John 21 from you all and from commentaries, lexicones, etc., but
lack one pice of information:

TO TRITON is said by Kittel (without explanation) in his _Theological
Dictionary of the NT_ to mean "for the thrid time" not "the third time."
 Matthew Henry's commentary (without explanation) says it means "the
third time" (in a par excellance sense ... which is Blass Debrunner
Funk's word for the usage, not mine or Henry's). I did find the par
excellance use in B/D/F, but not the temporal sense ... is Kittel trying
to argue that it is accusative of time or something? Why would it NOT be
translated "the third time" (par excellance)? Could someone cite some
refernces and explain these contrary viewpoints? I think that this is a
different question than the earlier one on this point ... at least, in my
head it is! Thanks!

Deaconess Theresa List
Hispanic Missionary at Large
LC-MS MNS