Semitic thought patterns

From: Theresa J List (fcvandvi@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 1996 - 01:14:03 EDT

Greetings!

I was taught in undergrad and grad school that the semitic approach to
time is different than our own. In specific, we were taught in
reference to the book of Revelation that the seemingly confusing
repetition of events over and ove is caused by looking at the time
passing between each chapter literally ... that is, as if chapter one
preceeded chapter 5 preceeded chapter 15 in chronology.

The Semitic thought pattern which I was then taught was that a event was
looked at spirally: for example, first one would tell the literal event
in the literal time in which it transpired. Then one would double back
and look at it again, but only mention aspects of the event which
emphasized the aspect under discussion. Then double back a third time
and look at different aspects of the same event, etc ... So, applied to
Revelation again, later chapters were just retelling in different
perspective earlier chapters. My question is NOT about Revelation in particular, but wheter anyone else has heard of that Semitic view of time
and therefore might be able to tell me where to read up on it? I ran
across a Greek scholar here who had never heard of that and found it quite dubious. Let me know. Thanks.

God's Peace and Godspeed!
Deaconess Theresa List
Hispanic Missionary at large
LC-MS MN S