Re: German Spelling Reform

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 03 1996 - 12:55:49 EDT

At 10:23 AM -0400 7/3/96, Stephen C Carlson wrote:
>Of only tangential relevance to this list but possibly of interest to
>those members who know German (which is a big plus in this field), there
>has been a reform of German spelling. The details (in German) are found
>at:
>
> http://www.ids-mannheim.de/pub/reformA.html
>
>The upshot of the reforms is that certain words spelled with 'e' are
>now spelled with 'a"' ('ae') where etymology warrants; double consonants
>are now used more, including in certain cases a 'ss' for 'B' (es-zet);
>triple consonants are now spelled out; and certain foreign words are now
>domesticated in their spelling. But don't take my word for it, I can
>hardly read German (except for recognizing 'alte' vs. 'neue').

Sowas verdient von uns allen einen recht schoenen Dank! Is there any other
modern people so concerned with an orthography that accurately reflects the
pronunciation of the language--perhaps the Chinese of the People's
Republic? I still remember walking down the streets of Munich and looking
at older signs such as "Carolinenstrasse" practically adjacent to newer
signs ("Karolinenstrasse").

Carl (der Alte, doch nicht Adenauer) Conrad (noch nicht Karl Konrad, weil
alt, soweie auch die Namensorthografie)

(314) 935-4018