Re: Junias in Romans 16.7

From: Stephen C Carlson (scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 1996 - 15:55:36 EDT

We've had this discussion before, and either gender is possible because
the original manuscripts almost certainly did not have written accents.
The masculine is distinguished from the feminine by the position of the
accent.

The UBS 4 critical edition is extremely misleading here. The A rating
for the printed text only extends to the letters, not the accents, as
Metzger's textual commentary explains. The A rating is against the
IOULIAN alternate reading. I recommend the section in the textual
commentary for more information.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs