Re: Re Php 2:6 (2d response to David Moore)

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 1996 - 15:08:43 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 2:46 PM -0400 7/5/96, David L. Moore wrote:
> >Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> >
> >> It struck me that in the initial discussion of Phil 2:6 by Al Kidd there
> >> was a strange and unnecessary argument about the article TO used with EINAI
> >> here. It is, I really think, the article used with the infinitive to
> >> indicate clearly the primary (subject) accusative with which hARPAGMON, as
> >> a substantive predicate accusative, is equated by hHGHSATO.
> >
> > Carl's suggestion on this point is quite plausible. If we accepted
> >the article
> >in this sense, might it also have an anaphoric function?
>
> I wouldn't want to make any dogmatic assertion here, but I see no reason
> why it could not IMPLICITLY refer back to MORFH QEOU; but I don't think it
> requires any intricate grammatical justification to see it as referring
> back to MORFH QEOU.

        I would agree with that last statement, but from the matter of the much
discussion there has been, through the centuries, concerning this verse, it would
make for a nicer argument if one could say that the article has anaphoric force.

> In my Adamic view, of course, I'm rather inclined to see it as referring to
> the serpent's temptation (in Genesis 3) to pluck (which would, of course,
> be hARPAZW) and eat, thereby becoming "like God, knowing good and evil."
> This would, of course, be the temptation to which Jesus, unlike Adam & Eve,
> did NOT yield.

        Are you, then, taking the hARPAZW clause as Al Kidd did in the sense that
Christ did not consider robbery. Several lines of reasoning seem to point to
hARPAGMON forming part of a double accusative construction with hHGEOMAI meaning
"consider" here. Judging from your earlier post, you seemed to agree with the
latter. How could this interpretation of the hARPAZW clause fit in with the idea
that hARPAGMON is an allusion to Adam's plucking the forbidden fruit?

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education