Re: Php 2:6

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 1996 - 07:26:46 EDT

At 1:34 PM -0400 7/9/96, John Albu wrote:
>Regarding the meaning of harpagmos in Philippians 2:6, there are some
>interesting remarks by Heinz Kruse S. J. in his article "Harpagmos (Ad
>Phil 2, 6)," published in "Verbum Domini," Vol. 27, 1949, pp. 355-360. I
>am quoting from pp. 355, 356, 358, in Latin and providing an English
>translation. I would appreciate if improvements would be offered for this
>translation.

Vel maximas gratias ago tibi, qui de nobis bene meritus es, non textum
Latinum tantum prae oculis nostris afferens, attamen versionem quoque
praeclaram anglicam praebens.

I realize that opinions on this text are going to remain widely divergent,
but the article which you have cited goes to the heart of the chief problem
I have always had with the "Christ-hymn" as normally interpreted of
surrender by Christ of a pre-existent divine status in assuming incarnate
existence. I think that the addition of the Heinz Kruse article to the
store of important discussions of this passage confirms the observation
(not mine originally, although I heartily concur) that this
justly-celebrated passage affords substantial difficulties in Greek
vocabulary and grammar both to the traditional "incarnational"
interpretation and to the "Adamic"interpretation.

(314) 935-4018