Re: Mk 15:45 - Jesus' Corpse (ptwma)

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Date: Fri Jul 12 1996 - 15:08:01 EDT

Henry Baclay Swete comments on this passage:

...the Body which 'saw no corruption' is not elsewhere called 'a corpse' (cf
6:29; Rev 11:8ff) but to Pilate, it would appear merely in that light. TO
SWMA is substituted in Matthew, Luke and John. ptwma is used of the carcases
of animals e.g Judges 14:8; when employed for the dead body of a human being
it carries a tone of contempt. The Majority of uncial manuscripts avoid the
word here and borrow SWMA from Matthew, Luke and John. and the Latin
versions similarily prefer _corpus- to _ cadaver_

Hope this answers the inquiry,

At 10:22 AM 7/12/96 MST, you wrote:
> While researching this verse this week, I noticed that the KJV renders
> this word as "body." What is strange is the fact that even Strong's
> number on the word references SWMA (body) instead of PTWMA (corpse)!
>
> Can anyone please supply the history behind this confusion? My
> assumption is that at one time some thought it disrespectful to call
> Jesus' dead body a "corpse," but I don't know why Strong got this
> incorrect. Is this just a mistake on his part? Or is there more to it?
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

Kevin W. Woodruff
Reference Librarian