Matthew 11:12

From: guyette_ref@infoave.net
Date: Mon Jul 15 1996 - 14:40:18 EDT

I thought I would peek out of my lurker's cave again with
a question on Matthew 11:12. Flannery O'Connor's story
"The Violent Bear It Away" first drew my attention to this
verse. Translations I have seen are about equally divided
on the identity of these "violent ones" -- are they the ones
who kill the prophets, or are they whole-hearted followers
of Jesus? Kittel's lists the Greek words as "biazomai" and
"biastes." Would appreciate any light shed here - grammatical
or rhetorical.

Fred Guyette
Erskine Seminary and College
Due West, SC 29639