Re: The Violent bear it away

From: Wes Williams (71414.3647@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 1996 - 04:07:05 EDT

Dear Fred,

<<I thought I would peek out of my lurker's cave again with a question on
Matthew 11:12. Flannery O'Connor's story "The Violent Bear It Away" first drew
my attention to this verse. Translations I have seen are about equally divided
on the identity of these "violent ones" -- are they the ones who kill the
prophets, or are they whole-hearted followers of Jesus? Kittel's lists the Greek
words as "biazomai" and "biastes." Would appreciate any light shed here -
grammatical or rhetorical.>>

Here's another thought to add and consider regarding this challenging verse:

 But from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of the heavens is
the goal toward which men press [bi.a'ze.tai], and those pressing forward
[bi.a.stai'] are seizing it. [Compare AT; also the Zurcher Bibel (German).] For
all, the Prophets and the Law, prophesied until John." (Mt 11:10-13) Thus, the
days of John's ministry, which were soon to end with his execution, marked the
close of one period, the start of another. Of the Greek verb bi.a'zo.mai used in
this text, Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words says,
"The verb suggests forceful endeavour." (1981, Vol. 3, p. 208) Regarding Matthew
11:12, German scholar Heinrich Meyer states: "In this way is described that
eager, irresistible striving and struggling after the approaching Messianic
kingdom . . . So eager and energetic (no longer calm and expectant) is the
interest in regard to the kingdom. The [bi.a.stai'] are, accordingly, believers
[not enemy attackers] struggling hard for its possession."Meyer's Critical and
Exegetical Hand-Book to the Gospel of Matthew, 1884, p. 225.

Membership in the Kingdom of God, therefore, would not be easy to gain, not like
approaching an open city with little or nothing to make entrance difficult.

Sincerely,
Wes