(no subject)

From: guyette_ref@infoave.net
Date: Tue Jul 09 1996 - 17:01:54 EDT

I have been reading the recent messages on "what New Testament
scholars need to know" with great interest. As a theological
librarian trying to build a good collection, the discussion
has been most useful. I wonder if others are struck by the
same irony that haunts me, however, and that is that the central
figure of the NT, Jesus, would not have qualified for admission
to any of these programs. I've no particular axe to grind by
saying so, but there might be a great deal of difference in
saying that we know something about the NT and following the
one we have come to love through the literature of the NT. Well,
my proper role on this list is probably as a "lurker" and to
that role I now return.

Fred Guyette
Erskine College and Seminary