Re: Spanish, again

From: Alan Repurk (lars@repurk.mw.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 1996 - 12:48:26 EDT

Stephen C Carlson wrote:

> Edward Hobbs wrote:
> > I cannot believe, nevertheless, that Spanish Biblical scholarship
> >has produced more than a small fraction of the output of serious, important
> >work done in German--and that was my point when the question was raised
> >about learning languages for reading scholarly work in their original
> >form. If one already knows Spanish, wonderful!
>
> In reading over back-issues of NTS, there seem to be many interesting
> articles written in German. So many that I sometimes regret having
> studied French instead of German in college. Are these articles
> generally available in English/French/Italian translation? Or must I
> bite the bullet and learn some German?
>
> Stephen Carlson

I too have noticed that many good articles are in German when I search
for topics related to bible translation. I have heard that there are
relatively inexpensive ($100 or so) programs to translate modern languages
like French, Spanish and German into English. Has anyone tried any
programs like this ?

-lars