B-GREEK Owner: Assumptions regarding the text.

From: David John Marotta (djm5g@virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 24 1996 - 08:45:02 EDT

>Or does each member of the B-Greek list have his/her own perspective on
>these questions? If so, to what extent does that influence our ability
>to discuss these texts in such a manner that real progress is made in
>understanding them?

As List Owner I will answer that question. First meta-questions should
come to me and only discussed on the list as a last resort. This question
is one which a newcomer should *not* raise, but rather watch the list
and figure it out. Lists spend a lot of time and effort on defining
themselves, being guided by their owner only for major course corrections.

First, the list for those who consider the Bible authoritative in their
lives is the BIBLE list. B-GREEK is for the scholarly, from inerrant
believing seminary professors to the completely faithless University
professor. <smile> One might think that those on the Bible list would
therefore have less disputes than those one this list, but the exact
opposite has been true. It is easier to glean wisdom from a scholar
whose presuppositions you may differ on than from a non-scholar
whose conclusions may not be logically consistant with their assumptions.

We can now end this thread and discuss the Greek NT.

David John Marotta
List Owner

David John Marotta, Medical Center Computing, Stacey Hall
Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg PRODIGY: KCMR45A
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax IBM US: usuvarg8
*** Forwarding note from SMTP --DMT03 07/24/96 01:22 ***