Statistics for Biblical Scholars

From: J.D.F.=van=Halsema%BW_KG%TheoFilos@esau.th.vu.nl
Date: Thu Jul 25 1996 - 05:39:26 EDT

Perhaps some of my fellow scholars on the list b-greek can help me:
I am engaged in a brief survey of aspects of sentence length in the Corpus
Paulinum. A decade ago at Grammar School ('Dutch': Gymnasium) I did have some
elementary knowledge of statistics, but that has gone...
Perhaps someone of you in the past did have the need of statistical analysis.
Could you advice me on basic literature?
For instance: suppose that in 1 Cor. 8-10 the average sentence length is 15
(bypassing the problem: 'what is a sentence'??...). Is it then statistically
crorrect to say that a sentence of e.g., 45 words is something special? 35?
25? 5? I recall there were some pretty simple rules about that.

Erik van Halsema |Junior Research Assistant Vrije Universiteit
j.d.f.van_halsema@esau.th.vu.nl |Faculty of Theology
jdfvh@dds.nl |De Boelelaan 1105,
http://huizen.dds.nl/~jdfvh |1081 HV Amsterdam, Netherlands