Re: Statistics for Biblical Scholars

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 26 1996 - 08:28:27 EDT

If this thread develops, I'd be interested in observations from
statisticians re. the use of statistics for _vocabulary_ studies. I'm not
sure I see a great deal of value in sentence length comparisons (though I'm
sure I could be wrong on that count!). Vocabulary, however, has been
subjected to considerable statistical analysis in NT studies. I'm quite
curious how statisticians view this situation (as opposed to the NT
scholars who have done that work).

This query is particularly in re. to Jeff Smelser's statement that:
>One thing
>that impressed me as I learned more about statistics was the degree to which
>statistics are misused by non-mathematicians. I would advise linguists to
>exercise caution when tempted to draw conclusions based on statistical
>analysis.

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker, Asst. Prof./NT Baptist Bible Seminary
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit, PA