Re: 1 Tim 2:15

From: kclay@wwd.net
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 02:57:56 EDT

** Reply to note from Micheal Palmer <bla00161@mail.wvnet.edu> Tue, 23 Jul 1996 01:46:12 -0500

> [SNIP..SNIP..SNIP]
>
> Carlton's conclusion that Paul did not write the letter
> is not unusual. It is shared by a large majority of
> critical biblical scholars. The vocabulary of the
> letter has significant differences from the letters
> known to be by Paul. The structure of church
> organization assumed in the letter seems more
> formalized than in Paul's time, etc. Of course, none of
> these arguments are %100 conclusive, but they do carry
> a good bit of weight for many people.

Luke T. Johnson (of the Jesus2000 Debate) is forthcoming with a commentary
on the pastorals. I have heard him speak and he provides convincing proof
for Pauline authorship of the pastorals. It will be interesting to see how
his views are taken but current scholarship that believes Pauline authorship
a myth.

keith

This mail was created on OS/2 Warp and Post Road Mailer 1.99D(Green Edition)

                       Get Warped! Team OS/2 Member
Keith A. Clay
Tri-State Oxygen Co.
P.O. Box 121
Ashland, KY 41105-0121
(800) 828-1620
(606) 325-9962 (fax)

email: kclay@wwd.net (preferred)
        Phone: (606) 325-8331
deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin. 1706-1790.