modern greek pronunciation

From: Sam Johnson (buddy@connecti.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 22:41:51 EDT

I have enjoyed the discussion on how should one pronounce N.T. Greek.
I hope my brief testimony will help the discussion. I was taught the Erasmus system
about 10 years ago when I first began learning Greek. Two years later I talked with
Spiros Zodiathes and he encouraged me to give modern Greek a chance. Little to my
knowledge God had placed a great Christian who I met and he was from Greece!!! He also
was a good friend of Dr. Zodiathes. God is good. We spent 2 hours a week for about one
year and the results were amazing. I hope to begin Seminary in a few years and I know
this training in Modern Greek has been helpful. I can read any passage in the N.T. and
one day I should be able to understand most of it. Learning Modern Greek is like
learning HOOKED ON PHONICS. It really works. It doesn't mean you don't have to study
grammer and all the tools needed to be a faithful student of God's Word but Modern Greek
pronunciation makes it easier to memorize and make the language come to life. I have fun
in the N.T. and it is because no word scares me. If you think of a little child trying
to read without phonics you get a picture of what I am talking about. Also A.T.
Robertson in his Grammer in Light of Hist. Res. really gives a lot of validity to
learning this pronunciation. N.T.Greek is not a dead language and surely a language read
only with the eyes and not the mouth and ears when we have people who still speak it
(millions) is a tragedy. Before anyone responds remember this is my testimony on why I
prefer Modern Greek pronunciation.
                                             a very humble novice,
                                                 Sam