Re: More on pronunciation

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 1996 - 22:24:30 EDT

----------

> Edward Hobbs here:
> In my view, the primary issue on pronunciation is this:
> Are you going to pronounce Greek outside your own home or study? If not,

> pronounce it any way you like--no one will tell on you. If so, then
> will that be among (modern-)Greek-speaking people? Use modern Greek
> pronunciation. Will it be among other scholars, or students, or in
gatherings
> of scholars? In this case, you would be foolish not to use something
close to
> the so-called "Erasmian" pronunciation, with the usual simplifications
common
> to Hellenistic Greek teaching (e.g., Theta as in English "THing, Phi as
in
> English "PHilosoPHy", etc.). Using modern Greek pronunciation would
leave you
> largely not understood.

Thanks. Good idea! I had developed a compromise pronounciation, which ended
up being misunderstood by scholars, while still evoking an occassional
wince from my native Greek friend. Though it would certainly require more
study and discipline to develop two sets of pronounciation it makes sense,
much like having different hats suited specifically for specific
occassions, rather than owning one generic hat that would be specifically
appropriate for none.

Ellen