Re: On hearing (and uttering) Greek aloud

From: Mark OBrien (Mark_OBrien@dts.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 29 1996 - 15:01:13 EDT

Original message sent on Mon, Jul 29 7:41 AM by EHOBBS@wellesley.edu (Edward
Hobbs) :

<snip>

>Reading Greek aloud every day (EVERY day!) can keep one's Greek
> alive for years, even when one can't spend time studying or
> "keeping up."

Of course, this raises the issue of pronunciation. I have a Greek friend who
has been trying to teach me to read Greek with the modern system of
pronunciation, and I must say that this does seem to allow one to read the text
with more "feeling", and it sounds more vibrant and less artificial than the
usual system we are taught. Any thoughts on this?

Mark O'Brien
Grad. student, Dallas Theological Seminary