Re: Luke 23:43 - Where does the comma go?

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 1996 - 23:18:07 EDT

Larry Kruper wrote:

> Gentlemen and scholars,
>
> I notice that in Luke 23:43 'Truly I tell you today you will be with me
> in paradise,' the W&H text has the comma after 'today' whereas the
> common bible translations have the comma before today. Where does the
> comma go ?

        There are a couple of good reasons to take the comma as natually
going between LEGW and SHMERON.

        For one, LEGW SHMERON, as a phrase, (unless we count the verse
under discussion) is unattested in the NT corpus. But we have lots of
expressions that read something like AMHN SOI LEGW followed by a solemn
statement.

        Secondly, SHMERON apparently answers the second brigand's request
for consideration from Jesus *when He might come in His kingdom*. The
most natural way to understand this exchange is that Jesus has answered
the brigand's vague time reference with a positive, affirming "today."

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education