Re: stop, cease, desist, cut it out, break it off, cork it

From: DWILKINS@ucrac1.ucr.edu
Date: Sat Sep 28 1996 - 16:48:57 EDT

A qualified touche/ on both counts, Carl. I hadn't thought of ELAUNW being
used to drive a chariot, but I'll take your word for it--I suppose the idea
is driving the horses, more precisely? If you used a prohibition with
ELAUNW, though, might it suggest to change drivers, or unhitch the horse or
something (hISTHMI wouldn't be ambiguous)? As to the plural, this is somewhat
of a knee-jerk reaction on my part, thinking that the singular (a la other
European languages) is too intimate; but it seems--I can't put my finger on
it at the moment--that I've seen this distinction in Greek as well. Maybe
not. I'd appreciate it if you have any evidence to offer one way or the
other.

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside