RE: Symbol for Christ?

From: Albert Collver, III (Collver@msn.com)
Date: Mon Oct 07 1996 - 12:02:25 EDT

What you are seeing is the first two letters of Christ's name in Greek.
XRISTOS (CHRISTOS). The CHI (X) and the RHO (P) are superimposed on top of
each other. I don't know the origin but I think it has to do with some early
manuscripts where XRISTOS was abbreviated and then the case (nomative,
genative,etc) would be written after the CHI-RHO. Perhaps, someone more
knowledgeable could comment.

Al Collver
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Collver_Home_Page/