Re: MAKARIOS - I'm confused!?!?!

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Nov 19 1996 - 08:18:38 EST

At 11:22 19/11/96 EST, "KULIKOVSKY, Andrew" <AKULIKOV@baea.com.au> wrote:

>Fellow Greeks,
>
>I'm preaching on the beatitudes soon and I'm completely
>confused by MAKARIOS is this context.

Andrew:
You will see listed below all the occurrences of MAKARIOS in the LXX.

From the fact that out of the 73 occurrences,
25 occur in the Psalms
11 in Sirach
6 in the Psalms of Solomon
4 in Proverbs

you should be able to draw inferences about the ambience of this word used
to translate the Hebrew aleph-shin-resh.

The noun is given in BDB simply as:
"happiness, blessedness"

And using Ps. 1:1 as a litmus test, you will one translation going for one
term, another translation the other;
 the RSV has "blessed", the NRSV "happy"

The verb is listed as:
. go straight, go on, advance -- Qal go straight on
 intensive: go straight on`advance
causitive: lead on. set right, righten, pronounce happy, call blessed

Occurrences of MAKARIOS in the LXX:

Gen 30:13
 Deut 33:29
1/3Kgs 10:8 1/3Kgs 10:8
 2Chr 9:7 2Chr 9:7
Job 5:17
Psalms:
  1:1
 2:12
 31:1
 31:2
 32:12
 33:9
 39:5
 40:2
 64:5
 83:5
 83:6
 83:13
 88:16
 93:12
 105:3
 111:1
 118:1
 118:2
 126:5
 127:1
 127:2
 136:8
 136:9
 143:15
 145:5
Prov 3:13
Prov 8:34
 Prov 20:7
 Prov 28:14
Qoh 10:17
 Isa 30:18
 Isa 31:9
 Isa 32:20
 Isa 56:2
 Dan 12:12
 DanTh 12:12
 TobBA 13:15
TobBA 13:16
TobS 13:15
TobS 13:15
TobS 13:16
TobS 13:17
4Mac 7:15
4Mac 7:22
 4Mac 10:15
 4Mac 17:18
 4Mac 18:9
Sirach
 14:1
 14:2
 14:20
 25:8
 25:9
 26:1
 28:19
 31:8
 34:15
 48:11
 50:28
Psalm of Solomon
 4:23
 5:16
 6:1
 10:1
 17:44
 18:6
 Wis 3:13
Bar 4:4

By the time you have worked you way through the setting of each use of
MAKARIOS in that list, you may or may not be clear <g> but you sure will
have a lot of background <vbg>

Regards,

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie

[using Eudora Pro v 2.2 and Trumpet Winsock 3.0c ]