Re: Mari Broman (was Aorist resources)

From: Don Wilkins (dwilkins@ucrac1.ucr.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 09 1996 - 19:58:27 EST

At 6:51 PM 12/9/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
 . . .
>Using Mari's interpretation, "now is the son of man glorified, and God is
>glorified in him." The glorification does not refer to the past - Jesus has
>not yet been crucified - it refers to the "now" in the sentence. Exactly
>when is a matter of interpretation (the time of Christ's crucifiction? the
>time of his ascending into heaven? the time of his resurrection?), but it
>clearly isn't in the past.

Jonathan's post provides another opportunity to illustrate the point I
attempted to make previously. To him, the glorification *must* be future,
thus one must accept this as a possible meaning of the aorist indicative.
From my point of view, one must first prove conclusively that the verb can
not refer to a previous moment, and (as Carson noted) the "traditional"
position would take the aorist proleptically, which preserves the essential
meaning of the aorist while allowing a contextual reference to the future.
We need far more and clearer examples, if we are to untie the gordian knot.

Don Wilkins
UC Riverside