Re: historically informed interpretation (longish)

From: Somi Chuhon (kittycat@uniserve.com)
Date: Sun Dec 22 1996 - 03:03:42 EST

At 06:20 AM 19/12/96 -0600, you wrote:

>Congratulations, Ken, on a truly fine post!

Somi is in full agreement here! :) Articulated the concerns well --
particularly for my sake...it's not one of my strong points but God is
sharpening it up!

>so long as we
>remain alive in this world, even with the full assistance of the Spirit, we
>are going to "see through a glass darkly," gleaning much that will orient
>us on our way and hopefully, prayerfully, lead us to become more obedient
>and faithful, but never completely plumbing the depths of the original
>author's intent or of the original readers' understanding of that intent.
>And by this I certainly do not mean to say that we understand nothing
>significant of those meanings, only that we have never understood it all,
>and that this is one reason that we are likely to continue to fall into
>many different camps over the meaning of particular passages. Reason enough
>for us to be patient with each other when we disagree over interpretation,
>as I feel rather confident we will, and continue to do what we can to
>enlighten each other to the degree that each of us is able to enlighten or,
>God willing, to be enlightened.

The very reason why we discuss method truly is not a problem of the clarity
of Scripture but rather a problem of the shading of meaning by our sin.
It'll be great when I will finally be with all of you in the end and we can
all let out a big "AHA! It's so simple!" together! :)
Somi.
ACTS Graduate Student
Langley, B.C.
Old Testament Studies