Re: Greek fonts and email

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 1997 - 15:16:00 EST

<HTML>
I don't know of a universal way to send fonts in email. It is possible to
make fonts work properly on the web site by using HTML tags.
If you are reading this in your email, you can see the tags.
If you are reading this on the archive site, you will have to
save the file and look at it in ASCII to see the tags. This message will
look just
a little funny to anybody reading it in email, but if you look at it in the
archives, the fonts will come out right for anybody who has the right fonts.
Here is Acts 2:12, using the Greek font that comes with the Gramcord version
of Bible Companion Software:
<FONT FACE="Greek Parse">
ejxivstanto deV pavnte" kaiV dihpovroun, a[llo" proV" a[llon levgonte": tiv
qevlei tou'to ei\nai;
</FONT>
The only problem is that anybody who doesn't have the right font is left
standing
around wondering what it means. I guess most people have at least the Symbol
font, so they should be able to read this on
the web site:
<FONT FACE="Greek Parse">
AutoV de o IwannhV
eicen to enduma autou
apo tricwn kamhlou
kai zwnhn dermatinhn
peri thn osfun autou
h de trofh hn autou akrideV
kai meli agrion.
</FONT>
But Symbol doesn't support all the characters we need. And I think that it is
important not to post things unless everybody can read them, at least on
the web site. So we would have to find a font that everybody likes and which is
freely available in order to use fonts this way in the archives.
I'm pretty sure that some high-quality fonts will soon be freely available.
At that
point, we might discuss using them here.
</HTML>

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728