Re: 2 Tim 2:25 2nd try.......

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 07:19:04 EST

At 12:49 AM -0600 1/25/97, Tom Launder wrote:
>2nd attempt.... :)
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have a question about 2 Tim 2:25
>
> MhPOTE DWh AUTOIS O QEOS METANOIAN. . .
>
>The mhpote is what I am having a hard time understanding. BAGD 519 3B
>defines this as an interrogative particle "whether, perhaps." Does this
>particle then make the clause dependent? Right now I have this clause
>dependent upon the participle "paideuonta."
> |
> |____PAIDEUONTA____
> /
> /
> / MhPOTE
> /
> | /
> ____QEOS___|____DWh______|___METANOIAN__
> O |
>
>Is this correct?

I think so, but it is the subjunctive DWHi as much as MHPOTE that makes the
clause dependent. I think the sense of MHPOTE here is to introduce what is
formally an indirect question: "whether or not God might grant them
repentance to recognition of truth"; but the indirect question in this
instance assumes the implicit sense: "in hopes that perhaps God may grant
them ..." That is to say: what in form is an indirect question (by virtue
of the conjunction MHPOTE) becomes a sort of purpose clause. To me one of
the most fascinating things about Hellenistic Greek is the way classical
types of subordinate clause assume new syntactic functions.

(314) 935-4018